Fish oil is a form of fatty acid that is derived from the tissues of oily fish. The best sources are cold-water, fatty fish. We can get fish oil from fresh fish such as wild-caught salmon, herring, white fish, sardines and anchovies.
Living in the San Francisco Bay Area means having access to a large selection of fish in both restaurants and the ocean waters. When you’re ordering from a menu while dining in San Francisco Bay Area, there are health advantages in choosing to include fish in your meal.
However, fish themselves might not be enough. Fish oil contains omega-3 fatty acids, including two of the most important ones: eicosapentaenoic (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), sometimes called the marine omega-3s because they mainly come from fish.
There are so many fish oil benefits. Let’s take a look at the top scientifically proven ones:
- Alzheimer’s disease: The essential fatty acids vital for brain function that are found in fish oil can not only slow cognitive decline, but can help prevent brain atrophy in older adults.
- Cancer: Scientific studies have found that fish oil can help to prevent and kill various cancers, including colon, prostate and breast.
- Cardiovascular Disease: Studies have found that omega-3 fatty acids from fish oil are associated with improved survival rates for heart attack victims.
- Diabetes: Researches found that fish oil can help reduce the risk of diabetics from developing cognitive deficit because it protects the hippocampus cells from being destroyed.
- Eye Disorders: Fish oil has been shown to reverse age-related eye disorders.
- Skin and Hair: Fish oil benefits and nourishes the skin with fats and contributes fat-soluble vitamins that help skin maintain a smooth, elastic texture.
- Fertility and Pregnancy: Recent studies have shown that the consumption of fish oil can improve fertility in both men and women. DHA plays a key role in the mobility of sperm and health of sperm in men.
- Weight Loss: The combination of fish oil supplements and regular exercise can reduce body fat while also improving heart and metabolic health.
- Depression: Some studies evaluated the effects of fish oil supplementation on prefrontal metabolite concentrations in adolescents with major depressive disorder.
Do you want to know more about fish oil? Willing to give it a try?
At Earthly Nutrition, a San Francisco Bay Area based nutrition store, we conduct business with the highest level of integrity by selling nutritional and lifestyle products that support the health and well being of our customers and the environment.
Do not hesitate to give us a call at (510) 841-1798, visit our website (www.earthlynutrition.com) or come visit us at our Berkeley store located at 1400 Shattuck Ave, Ste 4, Berkeley, CA 94709 or at our Benicia store located at 872 Southampton Rd, Benicia, CA 94510 and we’ll be pleased to assist you in all your health-related questions and concerns.